If you love this, then you’ll also love our debut cookbook #SoVeganIn5, which is available to order right now:
– Ingredients –
For the tofu:
125ml (1/2 cup) coconut milk from a tin
1.5 tbsp medium curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp soy sauce
600g / 21oz extra-firm tofu
1 x 400g / 14oz tinned chickpeas
1 400g / 14oz tinned kidney beans
1 red onion
handful of fresh coriander
1.5 tsp allspice
2 tsp cumin
salt & pepper
130g / 4.5oz tenderstem broccoli
half a cucumber
a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes
vegan coconut yoghurt
handful fresh mint leaves
– Method –
1. Prepare the marinade for the tofu by combining the coconut milk, curry powder, cumin powder, soy sauce and a pinch of pepper in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Then slice the tofu into 8 pieces, dunk each piece in the marinade until fully coated, then transfer to a plate or deep dish. Pour the remaining marinade over the tofu pieces and set aside to marinade at room temperature while you carry out the next steps.
2. Transfer the bulgur to a saucepan on a medium heat and add 500ml (2 cups) of hot water straight from a kettle, and cover with a lid. Bring the bulgur to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the bulgur is cooked and no moisture remains. Leave the bulgur to cool while you carry out the next steps.
3. Next, prepare the remainder of the salad. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and kidney beans, and add both to a large mixing bowl. Thinly slice the red onion and roughly chop the coriander, and add both to the mixing bowl along with the juice of the lime, allspice, cumin and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Add the cooled bulgur, then stir everything to combine.
4. Slice half a cucumber and the cherry tomatoes in half.
5. Pour a little oil into a pan on a medium heat. Once hot add the marinated tofu pieces and fry for 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove the tofu from the pan and add the broccoli. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. To build the protein packed meal prep boxes, divide the bulgur salad between the 4 boxes then add a handful of cherry tomatoes, a few slices of cucumber, a quarter of the broccoli and lay 2 slices of tofu in each box.
7. Finally, prepare the yoghurt dressing by finely chopping the mint leaves and adding them to a small mixing bowl along with 4 heaped tablespoons of vegan yoghurt. Stir to combine. Add a spoonful of yoghurt dressing to each box, then close with airtight lids.
Tweets by wearesovegan